Which is the Better Option – Refill or Buy Remanufactured Cartridge?
The thing about laser printing is that there is a constant need for toner supply lest a printer cannot operate. Toner powder is enclosed inside a plastic case(cartridges) that users simply install in their devices in order to start a printing task. Nonetheless, when toner supply is exhausted, users begin to muse on the best replacement option that will provide exceptional performance without costing much. Since paying for less is of utmost concern, then the replacement options are trimmed down to toner refill kits and remanufactured toner cartridges.
Toner Refill Kits
There are many benefits to refilling cartridges. Yet these two stand out the most –saving personal money and saving the Earth.
- Save personal money. A compatible toner refill kit is the cheapest available option costing at least 60% less than the OEM toner cartridge counterpart. The pricing is both a blessing and a curse though. Users are attracted to its inexpensiveness but immediately shun away because it is considered too cheap and could possibly result to poor performance. But the cost is actually tantamount to the product and there is no reason for skepticism. A toner refill kit contains only tools for a successful refill of an empty toner cartridge – bottle of toner, funnel cap, toner wipes, gloves, and instructional manual.
- Save the Earth. Refilling toner cartridges with toner refill kits is an environment-friendly option. Here are two reasons to backup this claim:
- Fewer natural, non-renewable resources are used.
Approximately 1 to2 litres of oil is needed to manufacture one cartridge. As oil is a non-renewable natural resource, refilling cartridges makes a significant contribution to its conservation. Additionally, each refill equals to one less cartridge produced. Moreover, other manufacturing materials are conserved including aluminum and steel.
- Less non-biodegradable plastic and other materials are disposed of in landfills.
The majority of discarded laser printer cartridges are disposed of in landfills. This amounts to some thousands being dump each year. Plastic and other cartridge constituents will take half a millennium to decompose. So clearly, a significant number is added yearly without showing signs of thinning in the coming years. It is fair to say that by reusing and refilling printer cartridges, an environmentally sound decision is made.
Remanufactured Toner Cartridges
A remanufactured toner cartridge is an empty case donated or forwarded to manufacturers for refilling and repackaging. Upon receiving an empty cartridge, it is disassembled and inspected for structural integrity. If some parts are found to be worn out, defective, or broken, these are replaced. Then everything is cleaned up, reassembled, and the cartridge is re-filled. Understand that most cartridges can be remanufactured several times before being finally thrown out. So, the process of remanufacturing is safe and acceptable. Its benefit includes;
- More affordable price than the OEM counterpart. The use of remanufactured cartridges over new ones does save money since it is normally priced 30% less than the OEM equal. Although it is cheaper, its performance is at par with the OEM because manufacturers ensure that each product released can compete against it. So, users will get the same outcome while spending less.
- The useful life of empty cartridges is extended. In the reuse of toner cartridges, thousands of empty cases are deterred from being thrown into landfills every year. While these will eventually end up in landfills, delaying their journey plays a substantial impact in the environment.
So, which is the better option? The benefits of using a toner refill kit or eco-friendly remanufactured toner cartridge are quite similar. The only difference is the product type. As mentioned, a refill kit is a set of tools for refilling an empty cartridge while a remanufactured cartridge is a reassembled and repackage one. This being said, only users will have a say on which one is the better option.